You MUST read this before submitting to the NaijaMusicList Performance & Music Competition.
- The contest is open to songwriters who are 18 years of age or older on the date of entry submission. Any entrant who is a minor in his or her jurisdiction of legal residence will be required to obtain and submit written permission from his or her parent or legal guardian when ask.
- For the purposes of the competition, a song must have both lyrics and music. All submitted songs must be original, unpublished (or self-published) songs that have been written or co-written by the entrant(s).* For competition purposes, an ‘unpublished’ song is defined as being recorded and self-released by the entrant(s) and/or not co-published by a commercially active music publisher.
- Co-writers are subject to the same eligibility criteria.
- Past winners or co-winners of the NaijaMusicList Contest are not eligible to enter the contest. All other previous entrants, including past finalists, are eligible.
- Artists from anywhere in the world are welcome to enter. However, all finalists and semi-finalists selected to perform in the live performance showcase and competition at Lincoln Center for the Performing when needed must pay for their own travel and lodging expenses.
2) SUBMISSION POLICY
- Each entry must be an original musical composition (“composition”) for which the contestant retains the copyright and authority to submit and perform the composition in the contest. Payment for each composition entered in the contest must be made at the time of submission. NaijaMusicList is not responsible and disclaims any liability for late, lost, damaged, misdirected, postage due, stolen, or misappropriated entries or for any errors in online submissions, including, but not limited to unsuccessful file uploads. Materials submitted will not be returned and NaijaMusicList reserves the right to dispose of all submitted material in any manner.
- There is no limit to the number of songs you can submit.
HOW TO SUBMIT
THERE ARE TWO WAYS TO ENTER THE NaijaMusicList MUSIC PERFORMANCE & SONGWRITING COMPETITION:
ONLINE – submit quickly and easily through our safe, secure submission platform.
3) NOTIFICATIONS & WAIVERS
– All ten finalists will be notified by email and each winner must provide the following items to be eligible to compete in the international contest finals:
(i) an affidavit confirming
(a) that the winner meets the contest eligibility requirements,
(b) that his or her composition is original and unpublished, and (c) that he or she owns the copyright in the composition;
(ii) a performance license and mechanical and synchronization licenses for audio and video recording rights; and
(iii) a publicity release (collectively, the “Affidavit”). Affidavits for winners under 18 years of age at the time of submission must be countersigned by a parent or legal guardian. All Affidavits are subject to verification by NaijaMusicList and its agents. Each contestant’s submission constitutes his or her permission to use his or her name, likeness, and voice for future advertising and publicity purposes without additional consideration.
– NaijaMusicList retains the exclusive right to use in perpetuity any media inclusive of ancillary rights created in conjunction with the NaijaMusicList Contest including but not limited to; live recordings, video, webisodes, and photographs. Participants grant NaijaMusicList the use of this archival material in perpetuity.
4) FINALIST SELECTION
From all submitted entries, a total of ten (10) finalists will be selected to perform in the NaijaMusicList Music Award’s showcase and competition.
This contest is void where prohibited. All federal, state, and local laws, regulations, rules, and ordinances apply.
- Entries must be unpublished or self-published, original songs.
- Recorded submissions are not subject to a time limit.
- The song MUST be performed and sung by the song contest entrant. Songs that have been recorded with more than one backing musician can be submitted — for example, sending in a cut from a CD with multiple players. But remember, should you advance and perform live, you will only be allowed one backing musician on stage. This accompanist may play an instrument(s) and/or sing backup.
- Co-written songs may be submitted, but the person who enters the song must be the one who is the lead singer of the tune.
- IMPORTANT POINT: Though co-writers will be acknowledged, only the performer of the tune can qualify to win a prize.
6) EXPLANATION OF RIGHTS
- The writer(s) retains all rights to submitted songs.
- Winner will retain 25% master rights in perpetuity of resultant album in partnership with NaijaMusicList Recordings. NaijaMusicList Recordings retains 100% administration rights in perpetuity for master recording.
- Winner agrees to make themselves available for promotion of album.
- NaijaMusicList reserves the exclusive right to distribute the album digitally and physically throughout the Universe.
- Third party acquisition of master must be by mutual consent between winner and NaijaMusicList.
7) THE LIVE PERFORMANCE SHOWCASE AND COMPETITION
- On stage at the liveNaijaMusicList Music Showcase & Competition a single accompanist may sing along with you, play an instrument, or both.
- All finalists chosen to perform in the live performance finals must pay for their own travel to and from the weekend event
- The NaijaMusicList Contest is both a performance AND songwriting competition. As such, all finalists in the Showcase and Competition will be judged equally on both performance and songwriting.
8) THE GRAND PRIZE
- The grand prize winner is responsible for his or her own travel to both the recording of the grand prize album.
NEED MORE HELP?
Please re-read the rules again and if you remain befuddled on a point, email: email@example.com
Good luck! Be sure to subscribe to the NaijaMusicList News e-mail newsletter for contest updates.